Health & Living Topics
Whoever said that getting older was going to be easy? Whether it's in-home nursing, assisted living, surgery or medications, there's a lot to getting older. Though some of it may be confusing and seemingly unnecessary, there are many things you should know.
Find topics ranging from types of treatments and surgeries, to medications and incontinence.
Who pays for Elderly Care?
Have you ever wondered who pays for elderly care? Most seniors, and elderly receive assistance from Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid. Social Security, and Medicare/Medicaid are government funded programs that provide medical insurance assistance. Medicare is only available for people 65, or older.
So who actually pays for elderly care? Taxpayers pay for elderly care. On most employment check stubs, you will notice a FICA deduction, or a Medicare deduction. These deductions are equal to 1.45% of your earnings. Your employer pays the other 1.45% resulting in a total of 2.9%.
For example, if you receive a gross paycheck weekly in the amount of $500, you would pay $7.25 in FICA taxes. You would pay about $377 per year in FICA taxes.
Am I Too Old For Dating?
I'm fortunate enough to have been born with two complete sets of grandparents, two sets of great-grandparents (both on my fathers side of the family), and even one great-great-grandmother who is actually in my earliest memory of life. Each time one passed away, their spouse remained single for the rest of his or her days. It seemed logical to me at the time, and I couldn't imagine any of my grandparents ever dating someone else. Now, as I approach my senior years, I see life differently. Society has changed a lot in the intervening years as well.
What is Prolotherapy and how does it work?
Prolotherapy is a non-surgical reconstruction of the tendons, and ligaments. Prolotherapy is a permanent treatment for chronic pain because it rebuilds ligament tissue in weak areas. So what exactly is prolotherapy, and how does it work?
Prolotherapy is an injection that contains a sugar-based solution that contains Lidocaine (anesthetic). The injection is inserted into the ligament, or tendon at the bone attachment. These injections stimulate blood flow, and nutrient supply to repair the weak areas.
Orthopedic chairs for the Elderly
Orthopedic chairs for the elderly are designed to give appropriate support for better circulation, posture, and comfort. Orthopedic chairs can be used for health purposes, or for the prevention of health problems for the elderly.
There are different varieties of orthopedic chairs. It is highly recommended to shop in-person for your orthopedic chair, and try it before you buy it as each chair varies in comfort preferences. Some chairs have adjustable parts, or controls to adjust the arm rests, and seat.
How to deal with an incontinent parent
Many people are faced with the uncomfortable feeling of how to deal with an incontinent parent. This is one of those uncomfortable conversations that we all like to avoid, but it is also a conversation that needs to be addressed.
The first step to fixing a problem is realizing the problem exists. Dealing with an incontinent parent is not as hard as it may seem. Although the topic of incontinence is embarrassing, you are both in this together. Avoid denying there is a problem with incontinence, and address the problem with your incontinent parent. Let them know that you understand it is embarrassing for them, and if you both do not take steps to correct the problem it can become much more embarrassing in the future.